Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Two for the price of one

Remember me?

I just signed up for a 5K at the beginning of May and a 2K at the end of May.

It's April.  I haven't been running.  At all.

We were just in TX for Spring Break and I packed the running gear.  Like always, my husband objected. He told me that if I used it even just once it would be worth it.  CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

We got into TX on a Saturday...I went for a Sunday morning run.  

Some thoughts on running in TX, which hosts a climate that is  much different than the one I am used to in WI:
 - the birds are murderously loud!!!  They scared the beejeebies out of me more than once, which I guess made me run faster!
 - Even at o'dark thirty it is warm =)  but I like that.
 - There are many interesting flora and fauna that we don't usually see in our fine state.
 - No one else seems to be out running.  Do they know something I don't?

I didn't figure out my mileage since it was a weird area - I circled a few parking lots and weird industrial/hotel subdivision things...after I got back it occurred to me that if I had taken the hubs' phone I could have used that fancy map-my-run app I made him download for me like a year ago.   I did promise him and myself that I would totally do that for my next TX run.

Which didn't happen.

So here we are back at home...and I seriously need to kick my tail into high gear.  I unpacked the running gear (what?  it's a week later, I had to do it sometime!) and made a plan.  While the girls were at the Y for gymnastics I'd just put the baby in the Burley and go.  Stubborn me refuses to figure out the child care at the Y and was determined to run outside by the beautiful lake that I love.

This morning I woke up and had the dilemma of what to wear.  It's 40-45* out and windy, but always colder by the lake.  I put on running tights, changed to capris and back to tights again.  ARG - whatevs, I like being warm, ok?  And I have no matching running gear, so yeah, I look like a hobo, but again, it's not like the paparazzi is after me.  (I don't even know how to spell paparazzi - it only has 2 ps, not 3!)

Some thoughts on running outside in early spring in WI:
 - running w/a kid (even a smallish one) in the Burley is hard.
 - pushing the Burley while running is hard.
 - pushing said smallish kid in somewhat unwieldily Burley while running up an incline into the wind is wicked hard!
 - changing your route to get out of the wind is helpful.
 - chasing a Burley down hill w/the wind at your back while running and laughing hysterically is not generally recommended but makes for good blog fodder.  My face was wet w/tears!
 - when in doubt, wear tights.

Friends, I didn't think I could even do a mile in the less-than-45 minutes I had available.  BUT I DID!!! It turned out to be 1.5 miles.  Mostly running too!  I did walk some...but hey...I wasn't on the couch =)

No comments: